Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Catching Up


Margo is now over 3 weeks old. We are having a lot of fun together and every day we learn more about Margo and what makes her tick! Some of her "likes" include eating, sleeping, and listening to the "Happiest Baby" sounds CD. This CD is a miracle, I tell you. It puts her right to sleep when she's fussy. Margo also likes looking around over our shoulders. Another of Margo's likes involves interesting antics while she's getting her diaper changed. I don't want to get too graphic here so let's just say she has performed impressive feats on the changing table while her diaper is off!


Margo's dislikes include baths and getting buckled into her car seat. She also seems to have a fussy period each evening starting precisely at her parents' dinner time, even if we try to be sneaky and move dinner time around.


We have been snowed in since last Thursday! We got a big winter storm here on Thursday, and more snow on Sunday, and we're even getting more today. I would say by now there's about 9 inches on the ground in our neighborhood. The city does not plan to clear the streets; their plan is to keep them snow-packed so that people with 4WD can get around. (This makes me want to blow a gasket so I try not to think about it too much -- you can learn more here: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2008551284_snowcleanup23m.html.) Of course that also excludes the buses, so buses are running at half their schedule. What this all adds up to is that we can't get out. We live on a hill, don't have 4WD, and our street is a sheet of ice. Even if we could get down our street we would probably just get stuck somewhere so we just haven't gotten the car out since last Thursday. We would have taken the bus to take Margo for her pediatrician appointment, but the buses aren't running on the arterial closest to us (Madison, for those of you who know the area). We have had to reschedule doctors' appointments 4 times now.


People don't shovel their walks around here, so we also haven't taken Margo out for any walks. Her stroller isn't 4WD and we think we might slip and fall while carrying her and smoosh her! So she's stayed in this whole time. Pete and I have both gotten out individually and luckily we live within walking distance of several grocery stores (and Starbucks) so we are able to buy supplies.


Fingers crossed, we should see melting start on Friday so we can start having outings again! We're just grateful we don't really need to go anywhere, we can just hang out with Margo at home. There are tons of people around the city who can't get where they need to go, whether it's out of town for the holidays or just to work or home from work! It's really a huge mess.


Other than having cabin fever, we are doing well. We had an adjustment period earlier this week when we increased Margo's feeding frequency. This was hard at first; she eats every 2 hours (every 3 hours at night) so I was pretty overwhelmed. But we're used to it now and we hope that whenever we can get out to go to the pediatrician we'll see some progress from all this food, namely some weight gain.
Happy Christmas Eve! Pete and I will be enjoying some frozen pizza tonight (Margo will probably stick with milk) and we're looking forward to Christmas tomorrow.


Here are some more pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/CarolynPeteMargo/MargoSNext9Days

More later!

2 comments:

mosugs said...

Wait....you don't have a 4WD stroller? That's NUTS! What were you THINKING????

Heather and Brian and Sophie said...

Hooray for all of you!!! I can't believe it's been this long and we haven't seen each other! We should make a coffee date or something, I would love to meet Margo, and Sophie LOVES babies. Also, I am thrilled you discovered the Mom Movies, I was so sad when Sophie just wouldn't sit through them anymore! And definitely look into the Ergo, it will be essential if you want to conitnue to carry her when she's over 20lbs, it's an amazing carrier!
Email me at: blueglas@gmail.com and let's get together!